Saint-Louis University - Bruxelles

Procedures for EU nationals


This section applies to students who are nationals of a European Union member state and who wish to live in Belgium in order to pursue their studies.


The European Union


The European Union is made up of the following countries: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Croatia, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, the Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Spain, the United Kingdom, Slovakia, Slovenia, and Sweden.


Admission and residency


Students who are nationals of a European Union member state need only to present a valid identity card or passport to reside and study in Belgium.


This formality is accomplished in Belgium at the Commune where the student would like to reside.


Principal residence in Belgium


If you wish to have your principal residence in Belgium you need to visit your Commune’s administrative offices in person within 3 months after your arrival. There, you will be issued with a certificate called ‘Annexe 19’ and recorded on the Register of Foreigners.


You will need to present the following to the Commune:

a valid identity card or passport;

three passport standard photos;

proof of your admission to the Université Saint-Louis - Bruxelles, once this has been confirmed;

an authenticated birth certificate;

a copy of your accommodation rental agreement;

approximately 30.00 Euros for administrative fees.


These requirements can vary from one Commune to another. Most Communes have a website, which provide a wide range of useful information.


The procedures are normally as follows:

as an arriving student you must inform the Commune of your presence,

a local police officer checks that you live at the address you have provided,

once this check has been completed, you will be summoned to the Commune in order to complete the necessary paperwork.


You will then be issued with a residence card that is valid for 5 years. At the end of this 5-year period you will be entitled to apply for ‘permanent resident’ status.


Principal residence outside Belgium


If you plan to stay in student accommodation (known in Belgium as a kot) and return each weekend to your home country (e.g. France), you will need to declare your presence within 8 days of arriving in Belgium. You will be issued with a document called ‘Annexe 33’, which is valid until October 31 of the following year.

Source: InforJeunes

Université Saint-Louis - Bruxelles | Boulevard du Jardin botanique, 43 | 1000 Bruxelles | Belgique | Tél : +32 2 211 78 11 | Fax : +32 2 211 79 97 | N° d'entreprise : TVA BE 0413.332.242